Sunday, June 16, 2013

If you are an experienced CP grower and read only one post on my blog…

flava_cuprea_Kibelis_lid_web

Sarracenia flava var. cuprea “Helmut’s Rosy Red”. I lost this plant from my collection and it took a few years before I got another division. What happened? read on…

Make sure it is this one:

http://thepitcherplantationaustralia.blogspot.com.au/2012/11/the-pros-and-cons-of-fertilising.html

It took a while to figure it out – I had been loosing Sarracenia from my collection each year, and thought it was some sort of fungus. Each time it was the same – wilting pitchers, and death a few days later. But when I had some colleagues who are plant pathologists examine the plants, they could not find any obvious signs of fungal (or bacterial) infection.

Eventually, I brought them a plant just beginning to show signs of distress, and when we examined it, we found fertiliser deposits on the roots and rhizome. The diagnosis – fertiliser burn. And what made it worse was that the plant in question had not been fertilised – the deposits had originated from other pots and precipitated out of the water.

Do not abuse fertilisers – they will hurt and kill your plants if you do. Be warned and be informed!

flava_cuprea_Victorianclone_pitchers_web

Sarracenia flava var. cuprea “Victorian Clone”. Another victim of fertiliser abuse, not replaced at time of writing (and much missed).